Staff Training and Qualifications
Curriculum | Staff, Training & Qualifications | External Agencies | Early Years | Keys Stages 1 & 2 | Glossary & Links
Roles and Responsibilities
Our SENCO is responsible for the operation of the Special Needs Policy and co-ordination of specific provision made to support individual children with additional needs.
Our SENCO works closely with the SEN Governor to ensure appropriate support and provision for all children.
Our Learning Mentor plays a key role is supporting pupils with both speech and language needs and social, emotional and behavioural needs.
Other SEN staff work with the SENCO to deliver specific provision across the school.
SEN staff liaise with parents/carers, children, class teachers and teaching assistants to monitor pupils progress and plan interventions or change interventions where necessary.
SEN staff have regular contact with a wide range of external agencies that are able to give more specialised advice.
- Assistant Head and SENCO – Hazel Waterhouse
- SENCO – Julie Jones
- SEN Governor – Karen Richards
- Full time –Inclusion Manager and Learning Mentor – Jane Griffiths
- Learning mentor – Louise
- Elklan trained teaching assistants – Speech and language
- Amanda Edwards,
- Claire Gough
- Cheryl Dixon
- Cool Kids intervention ( Occupational therapy physical programme)
- Richard Butler
- Sarah Harper,
- Jo Frost
- Claire Jackson
- Speech and Language Therapists
- Gill Thompson
- Rhiannon Hunt
- Link Educational Psychologist – Helen Regan
All staff plan for and run intervention sessions for children who may need some additional support in the classroom. All TA’s undertake interventions with children throughout the week.
Training and Qualifications
The staff at Short Wood Primary School have personal experience of working with lots of different children with specific learning or behavioural needs. Many of our staff have attended a wide and varied variety of courses and have qualifications in the following:
- Child Protection and Safeguarding
- Epi-pen training
- Diabetes Awareness
- Moving and Handling
- Emotional Behaviour course
- Intro to ASD and ADHD
- Restraint course
- Bereavement training
- Friends training
- Communication friendly classrooms
- ELKLAN – Speech and language
- Cool kids training
- Talk Maths
- First Aid (Emergency and Paediatric training)
- Asthma training
- Diabetes training